Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Princess Nellies' Birth Story

Our Little princess arrived!

Finally after much anticipation and waiting, she finally come and say Hi to the world on 6 Apr 2013!!

How did it all happened?

Honestly, to me, its much of expected yet unexpected.

Just days before, i was still telling people that for all we know, after visiting gynae on sat, doctor would announce to us that i have dilated and need to deliver. Otherwise, its a case where i feel strong contractions, and ended up in hospital.

However, what i expected happen only half way.

I was feeling weird on Friday night, there were mild contractions, however, i think my skin was too thick to feel much, i brush off all the contractions as broxton hicks, in another word, its fake contractions.

On sat morning, i did everything as usual and even told my Mother in Law that after visiting gynae, we will need to go and get some stuff at chinatown before heading home. We all agreed.

I was early for my appointment, and at the same time i was required to do this fetus heart monitoring. While doing, i felt some tightening of my tummy, but never once did it cross my mind that its a contraction, since it happened so many times.

Jackie the nurse came and see me, told me i was having contractions, but i was just simply ignoring cause i didnt want to kick a big fuss.

We went to see Doc John, and lo and behold, Doc John told me i was having contraction 1 in every 10 mins. Which means it might be labour. So he said he wanted to check if i dilated, went and check and to my surprise, i was 4cm dilated! Yet i did not feel a single thing! He gave instruction that i need to admit to the hospital NOW.

My jaw dropped all the way to the floor.

Just as i thought i was thinking too much, there come the news that i'm in labour. My MIL who was with us the whole time of cos could not contain her joy, called everyone and announce that im going in to the hospital to give birth.

I on the other hand was still trying to think straight. So i told YY to send all of us home first, while i bathe and they take their lunch. We reached home, i quickly pack, check all the things that we required are there and off we go to Mount Alvernia!


Time check: 1pm

Upon arrival, the nurses check me in to the delivery suite and gave me care advises and instructions on what i need to know. And i was early, Doc John instructed the hospital to provide lunch for me! Which is my last meal till God knows when! Feast for the day for me!



Time passed, 4 hours gone. Dr John came. He told me i was still at 4 - 5 cm dilation! And he is gonna speed things up by breaking the water bag! And induce baby to come out at the same time. After him doing that, lo and behold, contractions came in waves. And more intense. yet to the nurses, its not enough.

Now its 5pm, i was still not dilating as what i expected. I was in pain, manageable i would say.

YY went to have his dinner while i on the other hand in pain!! How awesome is this!

By the time at 710pm, i could not take it anymore, i relented to having epidural, it was such a heaven on earth feeling when the epidural kicks in!

I still remember vivdly, asking YY, now that i am in pain, whats next.

Finally, after epidural, contractions sped up, i dilated another 3 cm within 1 hour! I should have done this long time ago! Yet at the same time, i was running a fever. A sign that i need be under closer supervision. Doc gave instructions to take panadol and since i was on antibiotic drip, i should be fine.

And due to the low dosage of epidural that the doc gave, i could feel the pressure and contactions when i was 9cm dilated! You can imagine those who went through without epidural! I literally had to beg the nurses to help me to increase the dosage! And so, at 9pm, they increase the dose! By 10pm, i was fully dilated! Well done! However, the epidural was so in its effect, i lost the feeling to push and got scoldings from the midwifes. How well done can this be!

I remember they told me to push, and i pushed! But nothing happened, and i heard Dr John mentioned that i cannot make it, cause baby's heartbeat was dropping and he got to help me to get her out ASAP! And so in the end they sucked her out!

At 2221 hours, Baby Nellie came into the world!







No comments: